St. Clair Shores Aqua Fest Celebrates The Water, Features Fun For All Ages, Interests - July 14 & 15
Published: Monday, July 2, 2018
Held annually the third weekend of July, the SCS Aqua Fest takes place in the heart of one of Michigan’s top regional destinations: the Nautical Mile, a legendary mile‐long stretch of coastal businesses, restaurants, marinas, and shops located along Jefferson Avenue between 9 and 10 Mile Roads in St. Clair Shores.
Held July 14 and 15, the 2018 SCS Aqua Fest returns to the Nautical Mile and features more activities and attractions than ever - for ALL ages - and for those who love art, entertainment, good food and drink, shopping, and, of course, the nautical lifestyle.
A highlight of this year’s festival is The Ultimate Air Dogs, with shows on Saturday and Sunday. Additionally, the Nautical Mile restaurants will be featuring food and drink specials, along with entertainment, all weekend.
On Saturday, the St. Clair Shores Aqua Fest rocks all day and evening with activities up and down the Nautical Mile:
- Ultimate Air Dog Show – Shows from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Put on by the premium dock jumping organization. An amazing show! Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- 5K Walk/Run hosted by and benefiting Special Olympics/Macomb – 8:00 a.m. registration with a 9:00 a.m. start. at Blossom Heath Park. Supported by 4 Paws 1 Heart.
- Free Trolley Rides ‐ 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. will be operating along the Nautical Mile stopping at Aqua Fest events, businesses, and restaurants. Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- Family Fishing Derby ‐ 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Blossom Heath Fishing Pier across from the U.S. Coast Guard station. Fishing rods and bait provided; no fishing license required for this event. Hosted by Shorewood Kiwanis.
- Craft & Vendor Expo – 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Supported by the Harper Avenue Business Association.
- Pony Rides & Petting Zoo ‐ 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Ride a pony, ride a clydesdale, and pet numerous animals. Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- Face Painting ‐ Noon to 3:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Supported by the Nautical Mile Merchants Association.
- 13th Annual Watermelon Eating Contest – 3:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Great prizes will be awarded. Supported by the Nautical Mile Merchants Association.
- Hawaiian Luau – 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Steel Drums, music, libations, and great food in Wahby Park. Supported by Cool Cities.
On Sunday, the St. Clair Shores Aqua Fest Event has an exciting schedule of activities for the entire family, including:
- Ultimate Air Dog Show – Shows from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Missed it the first day? Come see this amazing show! Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- Fun Galore ‐ 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Kids activities, music, food, and beverages.
- Pony Rides & Petting Zoo ‐ Noon to 3:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Ride a pony, ride a clydesdale, and pet numerous animals. Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- Face Painting – Noon to 3:00 p.m. at Blossom Heath Park. Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- Comedy Magic – Show times to be announced, at Blossom Heath Park. Comedy Magic is staged by Jason Abbott, Michigan’s funniest magician. Supported by St. Clair Shores TIFA.
- Meet the Mermaid – Appearance times to be announced, at Blossom Heath Park. Sponsored by the Nautical Mile Merchants Association.
According to Donna Flaherty, president of the Nautical Mile Merchants Association, this year’s event has been expanded as a result of additional support from the City of St. Clair Shores, as well as multiple sponsorships and the incredible efforts of volunteers who have been working on the event since last fall.
“Many, many volunteers, volunteer organizations, and sponsors in this community have helped us plan and coordinate this year’s Aqua Fest activities,” said Flaherty, “and thanks to their efforts, we have been able to present the best and most exciting event ever on the Nautical Mile. Aqua Fest is our signature event, and it just keeps getting bigger and better with more things to see and do for all ages.”
The Nautical Mile features a bevy of destination restaurants, unique shops, full service marinas, and other attractions that together have become a magnet for Lake St. Clair area visitors.
The Nautical Mile District has seven major marinas with over 2,700 slips serving the gamut from small runabouts to large cruising and sailing yachts. And, of course, the marinas of the Nautical Mile have all the amenities - covered slips, pools and restaurants, service, parts, and new boat sales. There are over 30 companies on the Nautical Mile that cater to the boating lifestyle. Parts, electronics, marine surveys and services, boat financing and insurance, food and supplies - you’ll find these and a lot more on the Nautical Mile.
Promotional support for the Nautical Mile Aqua Fest has been provided by St. Clair Shores TIFA. Sponsors include the Nautical Mile Merchants Association, C&G Newspapers, the Macomb Daily, Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine, The Little Blue Book/Towar Productions, 4 Paws 1 Heart, Gifts Afloat, Harper Avenue Business Association, Miller Marina, Jefferson Yacht Club, Shorewood Kiwanis, Mastro's Ice Cream, Mike's on the Water, Suburban Chiropractic Clinic, and North Shore Apartments.
For more information, visit the Nautical Mile Merchants Association website at www.nauticalmile.org or contact Donna Flaherty at (586) 777‐8300.
This article first appeared in the Summer Issue (Jul/Aug) 2018 of Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine.