RECIPE: Crab Toasts With Tomato Salad
Published: Wednesday, May 1, 2019
By: Fiona Sims, www.the2fionas.com
Crab and tomato is just one of those perfect pairings. The addition of semi-dried tomatoes (a useful store-cupboard staple) to the accompanying salad will sweeten up any store-bought tomatoes that might fall a bit short in the flavor department.
Crab Toasts With Tomato Salad
- handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp semi-dried tomatoes in olive oil, halved
- 1 tbsp spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- handful of basil leaves, torn
- 1 dressed crab, or tinned white crab meat
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
- juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 slices of sourdough bread, toasted
- salt and pepper
Combine both fresh and dried tomatoes in a bowl, nicking a little bit of the spring onions and torn basil to mix through, and season to taste. Place the crabmeat in another bowl, and mix in the rest of the spring onions and basil, the hard-boiled eggs, the lemon juice, and the mayonnaise. Season to taste again, then pile it on to the toasted sourdough. Serve with the tomato salad.
Additional Topping Ideas for Toasted Bread:
- Cream cheese dusted with cinnamon and drizzled with honey
- A dollop of horseradish stirred into grated cheddar and melted under the grill
- Ripe avocados mashed with crushed, dried chili flakes and a drizzle of olive oil.
(More ideas can be found on page 27 of The Boat Cookbook.)
Excerpted from The Boat Cookbook: Real Food for Hungry Sailors by Fiona Sims. Copyright © Fiona Sims 2014. Published by Adlard Coles, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing. Reprinted with permission.
Fiona Sims writes about food, drink and travel for many publications from “The Times (of London)” to “Food & Travel,” and “Decanter.” She is the author of four books, including “The Boat Cookbook,” and her most recent, “The Boat Drinks Book,” both published by Bloomsbury Publishing.
This article first appeared in the Spring Issue (Mar/Apr) 2019 of Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine.