Marine News from the Great Lakes

Detect Electrical Current In The Water BEFORE Disaster Strikes

Published: Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The day is June 23, 2017. Billy Turosky, an MFS Supply sales representative, answers a call from one of his customers.

Customer: “Billy, you have to hear this. Remember that Shock Alarm I purchased from you last week? IT WORKED! Man, my kids could have died. I can’t believe it.”

This customer, owning a home with a dock on Lake Erie, had purchased a Shock Alarm on a whim after MFS Supply started selling them in May. Once the weather was warm enough, his kids were leading the way down to the dock to enjoy the day splashing in the lake. At the last second, our customer grabbed his Shock Alarm and tossed it in, just for the heck of it. The Shock Alarm immediately let out a shrill alarm and started flashing the second it touched the water. Our surprised customer immediately called an electrician.

The electrician found one of the outlets right on the dock had started shorting out, and there was an invisible electrical current running through the water right where the family had been planning on jumping in.

Thankfully, our customer and his family avoided tragedy, but, regrettably, this type of situation isn’t a rare occurrence. The more electrical equipment surrounding a body of water, the higher the chances that an outlet shorts out. Older pools with lighting and metal ladders can spell disaster; marinas with cords and outlets everywhere are especially susceptible; hot tubs and spas can be a danger as well.

Electrical current is invisible to the naked eye. You and your family need a device to alert you to this invisible danger, and the Shock Alarm is not only convenient, but durable and easy to use. Simply remove the magnetic battery protector, and the Shock Alarm is ready to use. Wave it by any live outlet and you’ll watch it go off. Place it in a pool, or tie it to your boat; it’s ready to use for a guaranteed 12 months.

MSRP $129.99

Purchase by phone 440.287.7423 or online at


tags: Safety

Go back | Show other stories