Classic Boat Shows Celebrating 30, 40, Even 50 Years
Published: Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Wow, what a year 2017 has been in the ‘Antique and Classic Boat Show’ world. So many shows have hit major milestones in their longevity of providing outstanding venues for exhibitors and spectators alike. The efforts put forth year after year after year is a testament to all the dedicated members found in A.C.B.S. Chapters across the country.
A quick review of the 2017 A.C.B.S. calendar of events revealed six shows 25 to 30 years old, nine shows 30 to 40, and eight shows 40 to 50 years old. And one show celebrated its 53rd running in August!
Those shows of interest to the Great Lakes region are:
- Presque Isle Harbor Wooden Boat Show, Presque Isle, MI - 25th year
- Boats on the Boardwalk, Traverse City, MI - 30th year
- Where It All Began Classic Boat Show, Algonac, MI - 32nd year
- Famous Freddie’s In-Water Boat Show, Fox Lake, IL - 33rd year
- Finger Lake Classic Boat Show, Skaneateles, NY - 39th year
- Les Cheneaux Islands Show, Hessel, MI - 40th year
- Vintage User Boat Show, Alexandria Bay, NY - 40th year
- Lake Minnetonka Classic Boat Show, Spring Park, MN - 42nd year (Held Sept. 15 and 16)
- Portage Lakes Boat Show, Akron, OH - 42nd year
- Annual Judged Show on Lake Hopatcong, Mount Arlington, NJ - 43rd year
- Lake George Rendezvous, Diamond Point, NY - 44th year
- Lake Winnipesaukee Antique and Classic Boat Show, Wolfeboro, NH - 44th year
And the winner is... The longest running antique and classic boat show can be found at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY, celebrating its 53rd year this past August. Now, this show is what I call a “two-fer” because not only do you get to attend a great boat show, but you also get to tour the fabulous Antique Boat Museum at the same time. Held the first weekend in August, check it out at www.abm.org.
As you read this in September, there is still time to attend an antique and classic boat show near you in Lake Geneva, Ill., Lake Vermillion in Cook, Minn., or in Port Huron, Mich.
Then, there is the granddaddy of all things “antique and classic” in the boating hobby: the A.C.B.S. Annual Meeting and International Boat Show in Racine, Wis. running September 6-9. Over 130 best of the best are expected, with FREE BOAT RIDES provided in classic wooden and early fiberglass vessels. Check out www.acbs.org for all the details.
Will we see you in Racine? We will be one of the classics providing free rides in our Century Coronado “Family Tradition”. Stop by and say you read about it in Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine!